Word Count: 1963 starting entirely from scratch, but hey, that's 1963 words I'm actually semi proud of!
I've decided to start another weekly segment because Teaser Tuesday has been a lot of fun--and good motivation to actually post something. Five on Friday (I keep thinking there's a bad joke to be made out of the title but nothing comes to mind--ideas?) will basically consist of me--if you weren't tired enough of that already--listing five things about a random topic.
This Friday, because my WIP is really the only thing on my mind (but don't be fooled into thinking that means it's any good), I give you the following:
Five Facts about my Work In Progress:
- My main character's name is Emma. It's a pretty common name which is a new thing for me, the girl who was constantly searching out new, unusual names for characters (believe me, one abstract noun is often enough). I also know a girl named Emma which sometimes makes it hard to picture scenes.
- It was inspired by this picture:
- Emma doesn't know how to swim. She grew up in a small beach town but never learned how to swim which later becomes a major plot point--more like a very mushy, aww-worthy scene where the hero tries to teach her.
- Emma is a photographer. That basically means I need to look up all sorts of facts on shutter speed and exposure--or, at least, I should. I'm currently too busy pushing through a crappy first draft.
- It's the summer romance of WIPs. It takes place during the summer in a town with perpetual sunshine and the perfect surfing beach. I've never written anything like this before and I really want to finish the rough draft by the end of the August, mainly because if I try to work on it in the fall (or, God forbid, winter) I'll probably swap every mention of sand with snow and make everyone shiver a lot.